Did everyone have a good weekend? I feel totally refreshed this Monday and I am thankful for that! After a few weeks of an unrelenting schedule and a weekend trip to Miami, I was so glad to just be home this weekend. On Friday morning I had a few hours off and immediately replaced my workout with cleaning the house, naturally! I tend to clean the house top to bottom at least once a week (and we have some daily cleaning that we do as well to keep things tidy) but due to my schedule, it got away from me for an extended period of time. With April arriving, I thought what better time for a cleaning overhaul. I don’t know what it is about cleaning but it makes me feel relaxed yet very productive. I love the feeling of a clean house, especially at the start of a new month! Here’s what I did on Friday to start April off on the right clean foot.
- Focus on the floors first: I am sure there is some kind of flow-chart on Pinterest that shows you the correct order in which to clean your home. But for me, I always like to start with all the floors as it’s the most ground to cover, literally. We have tile downstairs and in all the bathrooms and carpet upstairs. Therefore, I first sweep all tile surfaces and follow up with a Swiffer. I love Swiffer products as I find them extremly easy to use and I love that the dirt and dust just goes straight into the trash can afterwards. Once I complete the sweep/swiffer stage, I head upstairs and vacuum the whole area. We have a Dyson and it’s worth every. penny. We have one similar to this and I use it all the time!
- Wipe cabinets and counters (in both kitchen and bathrooms): Once the floors are complete, I move on to the kitchen and bathrooms. On a daily basis we make sure to keep the kitchen area tidy by cleaning all dishes and even wipe down the counters after we make something. This makes my big cleaning overhauls fairly easy as it’s usually just a few crumbs here and there. For the bathrooms, I always clean the showers and wipe the counter tops. I will also clean the toilets, and I like this product because although I still use a toilet brush, this totally cleans it and if you don’t want to scrub the toilet it’s okay. (Bet you didn’t think we’d ever talk about cleaning toilets on here haha #reallife.) Furthermore, in the bathrooms I make sure to clean any mirrored surfaces as those are so challenging to keep clean.
- Dust: After the floors and most surfaces have been cleaned, I move on to dusting. Again, I use this duster because I like that I can trash it afterwards! I just walk through the house and get areas like the fan blades, around the tv, our nightstands, picture frames and anything else I see that may accumulate dust.
- Diffuse: After going to a friend’s house for dinner a few months ago, we decided we had to have a diffuser because her home smelled SO GOOD! Turns out, it was simply essential oils that she had going through a diffuser. We bought one that week as candles are great but to me they simply mask any smells. In our experience the essential oils really remove any lingering odor, etc. (Mack cooks a lot of bacon haha!) We oftentimes diffuse lemon, thieves or purification to make the house smell fresh.
- Straighten Up: This is another daily task that Mack and I try to uphold just because we like things to be orderly. Before going to sleep, I’ll fold the blanket on the couch and rearrange the pillows, make sure anything in the sink is washed and put in the drying rack and place the dog toys in their carrier. Since this is done regularly, I just make sure everything is situated as it should be.
All this to say, I love to clean! In total, a top to bottom house overhaul takes me about two hours. I totally understand that this amount of time spent cleaning (on a day off nonetheless) may not be everyone’s cup of tea. However, I function much better when our home is clean and in order. If you don’t really like to clean, I would suggest taking baby steps. Start with doing small daily tasks that can really add up to the reduction of needing to clean your entire house at once. Some examples of this may be a 20 minute tidy up before bed where you do just what I talked about- make sure all dishes are clean and arrange your living room nicely (fold blankets, place remotes on your coffee table, etc.). Another small daily task could include making sure to make the bed each and every morning. It’s the first thing I do each day and it instantly makes the room look better!
I am also going to refresh my closet here in the next few weeks so I’ll be sure to do a more specific post about removing clutter and deciding what to keep and what to give away! Until then, I hope you have a great week! Thank you so much for stopping by today.